December 24, 2012

Merry Christmas Cake

I certainly have not been in the holiday spirit this year.  My husband agrees he is not either.  Which I guess is good??  I did very little shopping, ordered a couple of things online.  And very little baking.
Our mothers send us a box of homemade goodies each year, that we really look forward to!. Those did arrive.  Which of course adds to the holiday pounds!  But, I did decide I would make a date cake.
This is the 3rd year I have made one for Christmas.  It is wheat free.  I tried a different recipe this year and it turned out GREAT!  I would like to share it and is is pretty easy too!

For what ever reason when you look for a recipe for this, you find it NOT under date CAKE, but date PUDDING??

1c.  (8 oz) chopped pitted dates
1 tsp baking soda
1 Tablespoon butter
1 c. hot water
1c. chopped pecans

Mix this and let stand until cool.

Meanwhile in another bowl , sift together:

1/4 tsp salt
1 c. sugar  ( I used half sugar and half agave syrup)
1 1/2 c. flour  ( I used all oat flour)
2 tsp baking powder

In the bottom of an 8 x 8 or 9 x 9 baking pan:

1 c. brown sugar
1 c. hot water
3 tablespoons butter

Combine your date mixture and your flour mixture together(mix well)
then pour over the brown sugar water.

This looks a little scary, I had never made anything this way before- but IT IS OK!

Bake at 350  for approimately 35 min. (start checking at 30- don't over bake- should be soft to touch)
The brown sugar mixture makes it gooey around the edges, the cake is very soft-Yummy!

Serve with whipped cream.

We have already eaten part of it!  hard to stay away.

Enjoy!!
This recipe is from my Bethel Mennonite Cookbook

No comments:

Post a Comment