August 3, 2012

Another Vignette

Another vignette that I have created in my home is a top our antique Chifforobe.  The chifforobe is a piece of furniture that substitutes for a closet.  Ours is made of tiger oak.  As a child it held my games, puzzles and art supplies.  We removed the door and use it as our entertainment center.

My husband and I really enjoy the Christmas tree lights every year.  We are sad when we take them down.  This year I decided I would make a year around arrangement on top of the chifforobe.  The only tricky part was there is a "hump" in the center.

I got inspiration from Romantic Homes magazine.  I looked for things I already had and I went to work.

My original idea was to use a tree branch spray painted white and lightly glittered to reflect light.  Once I brought it in the house to use, it just did not give the look I wanted.  (Part of the problem is there are no good trees in Florida for this!).  I went to Michael's and looked around for a substitution.  I found some beaded weeping willow like branches and some pink pussy willows.  I did lay the branch down as my base then added these willows in to that.  I used a very large picture frame already painted and crackled in the colors I was using as my backdrop.




The birdcage was to be the focal point- I added the little chandelier as an after thought.  I hung the chandelier from the air vent.  I did purchase 4 or 5 more hydrangeas and added these into the birdcage.




The hydrangeas in the front were put into a flat back sconce.  I had an empty spot behind the hydrangeas, so I started looking around the house and saw my favorite birdhouse (painted with a tea theme )and put this on a small hat box to raise it up.





I tend to think more is better, so I used several pieces of grapevine and ivy as fill in.  And what makes everything look more lovely?  Tulle!  Again, something I already had on hand.  I put this around the birdcage and around the willows.  I started with white lights, but decided it needed some color, so I added purple.(party stores carry colored lights year around).


The one thing I would do differently is to start with the lights first and then add in the other items, so the cords would be less obvious.  But when I dust I can change this!

We turn the lights on every night and the vignette looks so sweet by day, too.



Use things you never tire of looking at! 

Give it a try!

Marietta


No comments:

Post a Comment