August 11, 2012

Fall colors

I had so much fun upcycling this sweater over the past couple of weeks.

The sweater started out life as a teal pull over sweater.  It has now become a cardigan embellished with lace, roses and buttons.  In a lovely color.  I am calling it victorian rose.  And little did I know that this color is going to be popular for fall, according to Pantone, who are color predictors.
Pantone is calling it Rose smoke or Mesa.

I first cut the sweater up the middle and cut off part of the sleeves.  I then put it into a water/bleach mixture( I rarely measure) and let it sit until I had removed most of the color.  I then redyed with Rit dye. I LOVE RIT dye.  I have used it since I was a teenager- with buckets in the back yard!
I am never sure of what the end result will be, but am almost always pleased with it!  The redying was with tan with a hint of pink mixed in.  For the laces it was a more concentrated color.

I knew I wanted to use several different laces, overlapped at the bottom. 

I then decided to dye some onasburg fabric.  It takes the dye really well.
I used that to make into 2 roses for the bottom front of the sweater.
Then the neckline.  I was so fortunate to find in my button collection, buttons that matched perfectly. 
I added these all around the neckline.

                      I flipped the top edges over.  Sewed lace on the triangles.  I added some applique trim    I already had.  I gave the trim a quick dip in the dye mixture.

                          Used a piece of lace and onasburg to make a simple tie clossure  I wasn't sure how fancy to make the sleeves, I decided on lace and onasburg again.   Knotted  together and and sewn on the slightly ruched sleeve edge.



Start out with an idea- but be willing to adapt as you go.
Some ideas don't work well or look right.
Use your creativity to come up with something else!

Marietta

1 comment: